Arrived in Zambia

On Thursday, February 10th, I got on the first of three flights that brought me to Zambia to begin my new call as the Facilitator for Leadership Development and Capacity Building with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Zambia (ELCZa). 

I did not know what to expect, except that I was told that I would be met at the airport.  Well, the welcome and support I have received since arriving has been better than I could have expected.  Below are some pictures from my first week in Zambia to introduce you to some of the church leaders and life in Zambia. 

I was greeted at the airport three ELCZa leaders.  They are (from left to right): Treasurer Bernard Mapulanga, me, Senior Pastor Geoffrey Njapau, and Secretary General Rev. Mathilda Banda.  It was such a warm welcome to have not just one, but three church leaders meet me at the aiport.  I was tired from two days of traveling, but they helped me get settled in from the moment I left the airport doors.

 

L-R: Senior Pastor Njapau, myself, one of ELCZa Evangelists

 The next day, Sunday February 13th, we worshiped at the ELCZa Matero congregation.  This is also the congregation where Rev. Mathilda Banda is the pastor.  It was great to meet some of the members of the congregation including two evangelists, the communication coordinator for ELCZa, four pastors (some from other congregations), and many youth and young adults.

The Matero parish choir sang often and with amazing voices to lead us in worship.

 

My peaceful new home in Lusaka.

 A few days later, and after a day of rest, I got to visit my new home in Zambia! Again, the ELCZa leaders chose a home that is nicer than I would have chosen for myself.  It is peaceful and airy.  My house is situated behind the owners house, but within the walled compound that comprises their lot. I moved into my new home on Thursday, and then spent much of this past week furnishing and setting up my home to live in. 

 

Greeting the Chongwe congregation.  From L-R:  Chauffeur Joel C, me, Sr Pastor Njapau, Chongwe parish pastor.

Chongwe choir beginning their music offering.  They first move to the back of the sanctuary, then up to the front where they form a semi-circle to sing from.

This past Sunday, I travelled 30 km outside of Lusaka with Senior Pastor Njapau and Treasurer Mapulanga to visit the ELCZa congregation in Chongwe.  Again, the choir was amazing, and I met the Vice-Coordinator of the Women's Movement of the ELCZa, Mrs. Piiri.  She also led the liturgy and directed one of the choirs.  

This week, I also met with the leaders of the ELCZa to start discussing how I will begin my work as the Facilitator for Leadership Development and Capacity Building.  As an ELCA global missionary, relationships form the base for my work.  So, at this beginning time, my work will mostly be getting to know the people of the ELCZa and the culture of Zambia.  As much as possible, I will be visiting congregations and meeting with pastors, lay leaders, and everyone who is willing to share with me.  

But, this Sunday, I will be staying here in Lusaka and will preach in the Matero parish.  More pictures to come!

God be with you all.