Interview with Pastor Kristin: Lutheran Media Forum

 Yesterday I was interviewed by the Lutheran Media Forum for their "Know Your Leader" Program.  The Lutheran Media forum is based in Africa and works to facilitate communication between Lutheran Churches, primarily on the continent of Africa.  The Forum is led by Rev. Witty Mang'unda from Tanzania and David Mangenda from Zambia.  

My interview was done via the Lutheran Media Forum Whatsapp group, so the format is a bit less formal and you will see other people's comments and reactions as part of the interview.  I've edited the interview a bit for content and added more pictures.

LIFE JOURNEY OF REV KRISTIN ENGSTROM
Rev Witty: Good evening family!
Warmly welcome to *Know Your Leader Program.* This evening we are taking you through the life journey of none other than Rev Kristin Engstrom, the Facilitator of Leadership Development and Capacity Building in ELCZa.  Your host this evening is the one and only brother David Mang'enda of Lusaka, Zambia and Sister Witty of Kilimanjaro Tanzania.
The time is now!
 
Witty: Prior to that Please anyone is welcome for the opening prayer
Rev Kristin: Good evening everyone.
Witty: Your welcome Rev to know your leader program
Kristin: Thank you Rev. Mang'unda. I'm glad to be with you.
Witty: Pleasure is all mine.
 
Rev Denver: Dear Lord, we thank you that we can come into presence this evening with the hope of the resurrection. May our hearts be filled with joy in you. As we start of our program this evening we pray your blessings on Rev Engstrom and her ministry here amongst us. Bless our presenters and the work of this forum as we continue to build your kingdom. In Jesus Name.
Witty: Amen and thank you very much for the prayer.
 
Witty: Good evening once again Rev Kristin. Please feel welcomed. I can serve you a cup of coffee or tea and snacks if you want.😀
Kristin: I love snacks!! 😃
Witty: 🍪🍩🍫 please make yourself comfortable
Kristin: Thank you Rev.
 
Witty: Without further ado, let's start with this: Who is Kristin if someone what to know?
Kristin: Thank you Rev.
Well, I'm first a child of God.
Then, I'm a pastor in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (elca) and a missionary with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Zambia (elcza).
I'm also the daughter of Tom and Linda Engstrom and older sister of my younger brother, Peder and his wife Amy. And the aunt of Sylvie and Naomi. My two fabulous nieces.
 
 
Witty: Wow! This brings me to my next question: how was Kristin as a little child to your parents and older sister to your brother?
Kristin: As a child I was very curious and asked lots of questions. I'm also the oldest in my family, so I have always looked forward and had very strong opinions. My parents expected me to do well in school and in the other activities I was involved in.
I have to be honest and say that I wasn't very kind to my brother growing up. As is true for many siblings, I thought he was annoying. But now we are closer and I appreciate the adult he has become and his perspectives on the world. He challenges me and supports me. As do my parents.
Witty: Wow! This is really interesting.
 
Witty: Please share your education journey with us. You may post in pieces..
Kristin: Ok. Sounds good.  
I graduated from high school in the United States in 1997.
Following graduation, I attended the University of Wisconsin, where I studied comparative literature and international relations with an emphasis in Africa.  During university, I did not want to be a pastor nor was I interested in studying religion, which is why I chose literature and international relations. But both of those areas of study have helped me both as a pastor and a missionary.
Following university, I worked as a youth director in a congregation for two years.  And then, after God kept knocking and knocking on the door, I finally went to seminary, where I studied pastoral ministry and earned my Masters of Divinity at the Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago.
I graduated from seminary in May 2009, and was ordained as a pastor in the ELCA in September 2009.
 
Pastor Kristin with (former) Bishop Roy Riley of the ELCA New Jersey Synod, on the day of Pr Kristin's ordination.  
 
Witty: I'm really curious about many things in this journey but first: why did you choose Africa as your area of emphasis at university?
Kristin: Honestly, I don't know.  I had never been to Africa at that point. But for some reason I was really interested in the history, culture, politics, and life in Africa.  None of the other continents (Latin America, Europe, Asia, etc), were very interesting to me.  Perhaps it was God at work preparing me for the future.
Witty: I can see God was preparing you Rev 🙏

Witty: You grew up with no interest of becoming a pastor or studying religion. How did your two years working with the congregation as youth director change you?  In other words, how can you describe the voice of God that was calling you to join the ordained ministry, Rev?
Kristin: It was my pastor in University who first suggested I should consider becoming a pastor. Pastor Brent Christianson. So it was from that time that I first started considering becoming a pastor.
But I thought pastors had to be perfect people. And that wasn't me nor who I wanted to be. I also didn't want to have to write and preach sermons in front of people all the time. 😁
So really, the last two years of university and my time as a youth director was a time of trying to ignore this scary call from God. And trying to find another type of work that wasn't as scary or bigger than I could contemplate
But Pastor Brent kept reminding me that I could be a pastor and had the gifts to be a pastor.  And when I realized I wasn't really enjoying the work I was doing, and then started talking to other pastors about what the work of a pastor is like, I started to reconsider. The other pastors also affirmed that I did indeed have the gifts to be a pastor.
Finally, I said, "ok. I'll try it, God." And I went to seminary part time while still working as a youth director. But after a year, I realized that I was enjoying my studies and I could see myself as a pastor. And I could trust God with this call. So I moved to Chicago and went to seminary full time.
 
Pastor Brent Christianson
 
Witty: Imagine this what people out there think: *Pastors have to perfect people.*  But at the end we all come to learn God qualifies whoever He calls
Kristin: Yes. We used to say that in seminary all the time. "God doesn't always call the qualified. But God qualifies the called."  I also find comfort and courage in the Lutheran theology that we are all Saints and sinner. We don't have to be perfect, but rely on the grace of God.
Witty: And that grace is very enough!
 
Witty: How long did you work as a pastor in America before coming to Africa and how was your experience?
Kristin: I served as a pastor in New Jersey, very near to New York City for 7 years. I was at my first parish for almost 3 years and my second parish for 4 years.
My experience as a pastor was very humbling, challenging, and joyful.
It is such an honor to be invited into the most important and the most difficult times in peoples lives. I think that is my favorite part of being a pastor. Walking with people in their lives of faith.
But being a pastor is constantly challenging- especially in the US where less and less people are interested in Christianity. 
And you have to be a leader, which can be more difficult in the church, where everyone has a voice. Leaders will always face criticism, yet need to remain humble and vulnerable.
Witty: I can feel you.
 
Holy Baptism of one of the children at Holy Trinity Lutheran Church in New Jersey.  Pastor Kristin presiding.
 
Kristin: Perhaps I should also share that I served as a missionary in Senegal, West Africa for 4 years prior to coming to Zambia.
Witty: Wow! Now i know why God had to take you to the class especially for Africa.
Kristin: Yes.  God works in strange ways that we don't always realize until later.
 
Witty: Then you came to Africa.. What are the challenges you faced in Africa different from that of America?
Kristin:  Good question.I think the biggest challenge for me, which will always be a challenge, is not to take advantage of my privilege as a white American here. And to be aware of how much privilege and comfort I have as a white American.
When I first came to Africa (my first visit was to Ghana while I was on internship in seminary), I always felt like everyone was watching me and that I stuck out. Which I did!!!  So I had to become confident in myself and my skin and aware of myself and the history of colonialism that I still benefit from. I had to figure out how to live in the discomfort of being different, yet also trusting the people I meet and get to know.
Witty: I can understand.. yeah.  But it's difficult to avoid especially when you are minority in the group!
 
Kristin: Living in Africa also means living and working in a culture that is not my own. So I am constantly challenged to be learning and listening and not assume that I understand everything.
Witty: You are blessed to know learning is constantly
Kristin: Being the minority can be challenging. But it has also helped me to trust people. And to try to be more and more humble.
Witty: In deed.

Witty: So generally, what challenges did you face both as a pastor in the ministry and missionary in African?
Kristin: One of the most obvious challenges for me is that I live far from my family, and I don't get to see them often or visit them for holidays. This was also true when I was a pastor.  I am so thankful for WhatsApp video calls though! They help me to stay connected to my family and friends.
Witty: Ooh! Very sorry!  Yeah pastors lives are more like pastoralists lives.
Kristin: As a missionary, it is also challenging to work in a culture and context where you are never sure if you understand correctly or if you are making a big mistake and you don't even know it.  But the joy in that is having the opportunity to live a life trusting that God connects us through our differences. And trusting that when I make mistakes, my sister and brothers will show me grace.
Witty: You are very right dear Rev, we are brothers and sisters in Christ. We are family! And this is the reason you came all the way from America to Africa.

Witty: Rev Kristin, what's your opinion about marriage?
Kristin: Personally, I was married to a man from Ghana. His name is Eugene. But a year into our marriage, he died from a diabetic attack. So I have only known marriage for a short time.  I have lived most of my life as a single person. And as a pastor, I have been both married and single.
Witty: This is heartbreaking! Condolences dear Rev
Kristin: Thank you Rev. It was horrible. But I still give thanks for our time together. Tomorrow is actually my late husband's birthday. 
Witty: Thanks God for the time you had together! Happy birthday in advance brother in law in heaven! May his soul continue to rest in the hands of our Lord Jesus Christ!
Kristin: Thank you Rev
 
Pastor Kristin and her late husband, Eugene.

Kristin: I think both marriage and singleness are a blessing and both are faithful ways of living.
Marriage, when it is healthy, creates a partnership. You don't have to face the world alone.  But singleness is also a blessing and is how some people are called to live. If I was married, I may not have been able to come to Zambia.
Witty: Very powerful opinion.  Both are blessed
 
Witty: So, *What are your expectations in the Lutheran Church in Zambia?*
Kristin: Another good and BIG question.
I think its easier for me to share about my hopes for the Lutheran Church in Zambia, if that's ok.

Witty: Ladies and gentlemen, this Know Your leader Program! Our guest is Rev Kristin currently in ELCZa, this has been your host sis Witty I'm taking over to My brother David Mang'enda to continue the remaining part of our interview.
Hello brother Dave.  Go on Rev..

Kristin: I think my first hope and expectation is that we will be People of the Gospel. That we will be centered in the love, grace, and life of Jesus Christ.
It is easy to get distracted by our own wants. Or by all the other voices demanding our attention. But to be centered in the gospel is what gives us life and hope. Especially when life and faithfulness become really hard.
And, welcome David!
David : Thanks Rev now am slowly getting to know you.
 
Kristin: A second hope or expectation would be that we live more fully into our identity as the body of Christ. That we might seek unity and support and care for one another.
And finally, I hope that as the ELCZa, we can challenge ourselves to be open, vulnerable, and courageous to boldly follow Jesus. Even if that means trying new things or learning new ways.
I hope for all the people of ELCZa to be proud to be a member of ELCZa and to want to invite others to participate in the community of sister and brother who make up the ELCZa.
David : Excellent
Rev Njamba: Madam be blessed, your words are encouraging and educative

David : How old are you Rev ?
Kristin: I am old enough that I always forget my age and have to do math to answer this question. 😆
I was born in June, 1979.  42 years.
David : Wooh Thank you

David : 4 years in Senegal. *How do you describe the Senegalese and the Church in that country* ? Our Br Pierre who is following from Senegal is waiting for this.
Kristin: Senegal is known as the land of "teranga" or extreme hospitality. This is very true. Senegalese people are very very welcoming. People I didn't know would greet me on the street and ask me how I was doing.
It is also a country that lives out peace between Muslims and Christians. Senegal is 95% Muslim. I had colleagues who worked with the Lutheran NGO in Senegal who were Muslim, but who would always wish me Merry Christmas and Happy Easter.
David : Woh thats good of you our brothers and Sisters in Senegal
Kristin: The Lutheran Church of Senegal is a church of faithful and joyful people who are challenged to live their faith in a country where they are the minority. I learned so much from them about being proud of your faith. While also living peacefully with neighbors and family members of different faiths.
Kristin: The Senegalese also love to tease one another. It is something I still do. If you meet me, I will probably tease you. But it is an sign of care and joy at our shared lives.
David: Kkkkk careful with bp patients.
 
 Lutheran Church of Senegal: 2019 National Church Day and Harvest Celebration
 
David: Your in-laws in Ghana wants to know.. *How do you describe your days among Ghanaians?*
Kristin: Looking back, I now realize how much I didn't know and didn't understand about Ghana.  But I will try to respond. Otherwise, yes, my relatives in Ghana will be upset with me!
In my experience, Ghanaians are very passionate people. They are also very respectful of their families and their cultural traditions.  When my husband died, I had to learn the funeral and burial traditions and abide by them. He was from one of the chiefs or royal families.  So following the traditions meant respect for his family and for his community.
Ghanaians also love to laugh and enjoy life .
David : I love this.  Brother Amos from Ghana is smiling on this one.
 
David: We also have a question from Mr Hove of Harare
Stewart Hove: Just out of interest, how do you raise funds for the work of the Lord?
Kristin:  This is an good question which missionaries probably don't share about enough.
Every church or denomination has different ways of supporting and raising funds for missionaries.
David: Right
Kristin: But, I am a missionary sent by the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (elca.). It is the Global Mission office of the ELCA (as a church body) that supports me and provides for me.
But, I am also asked to contact congregations and people in the ELCA to ask if they will support me.
There are also people in the ELCA churchwide office who work with congregations to encourage them to support ELCA missionaries.
David : Thanks for the excellent explanation
Kristin: In order to keep connections with congregations that support me, I send newsletters and then I visit them when I am in the US. This way, they also get to learn from their relationship with me. 
Stewart Hove: Thank you very much for your sharing.
 
Sharing about my work as an ELCA global missionary with a Bible Study group in the US.
 
David : Any childhood memories Rev?
10 minutes to close
Kristin: My biggest childhood memory is moving homes. Because of my dad's work, we moved to a new town about every 3 years. So I often remember being the new person at school who didn't know anyone. But I also think this has helped me in my life now, because I learned how to meet people. And it helps me empathize with people who are new or who don't fit in.
I also remember how my parents lived out their faith.
My mother was and still is very passionate about caring for Gods creation, for this earth. She would often take things out of our neighbors' trash that could be recycled or put into compost, because she didn't want them to go to the landfill / trash. It was so embarrassing for me. But it was part of her faith.

David: Lutheran Media Forum is giving you 5 minutes to send any message from your heart to the Senegal Church.
Kristin: Thank you LMF.
Charles Keifala SierraLeon: Following live from Mbamba Yola Adamawa State Federal Republic of Nigeria. So inspiring
David: Thanks Brother Charles for representing Nigeria and Sierra Leone.
 
Kristin: To my sisters and brothers in the Lutheran Church in Senegal.  
Thank you for welcoming me into the church and into your lives as your sister in Christ. Your love and care and embrace of me as a pastor was humbling and made me feel at home amongst you.  May God continue to lead you and challenge you and give you faith.

David : Record any of your favourite song and post also picture
Kristin: I will try to sing one of my favorite songs: We've Come this Far By Faith.  It is from the African-American church tradition in the USA.
Here are the words:
We've come this far by faith, Leaning on the Lord.
Trusting in his holy word, he's never failed us yet. 
Oh, cant turn around.
We've come this far by faith. We've come this far by faith
 
Pastor Kristin Engstrom
Pastor Kristin Engstrom
 
David : Well, we come to the end of the interview my guest was Rev Kristin Engstrom from America currently working in Zambia. For those of you who just heard that you have a new Pastor now you know who she is. Thank you Rev for accepting our invitation. Your Hosts this evening were Rev Witty Mang'unda of Kilimanjaro Tanzania and David Mang'enda from Lusaka Zambia. Good night until you nextwk. God bless you all.